Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 16 Oct 2004 12:39:44 -0700
From:         Doug in Calif <vanagon@ASTOUND.NET>
Subject:      Re: Second Battery / Battery wiring / 110vt Inverter
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@optonline.net>

Hi Dennis, Thanks for the detailed reply, that does help.

I did some research on the inverter it is made by Xantrex. They do seem to be quite reputable from what I can see on the net.

Here's a brief clip on them: Xantrex Technology Inc. (formerly Trace Engineering) is headquartered in Vancouver, B.C., but manufactures its Trace brand products in Arlington. Xantrex is privately owned, with about 700 employees and revenues of $95 million last year.

Founded in 1984, Xantrex's Trace division is the leading provider of inverters, which are the key components to converting the sun's rays into usable household energy.

The most recently released Trace inverter is the Sun Tie XR, which costs about $2,700. A complete, entry-level solar package costs $5,000 to $6,000 - low enough to strike a chord with homeowners and small businesses.

"This year, one of the most popular products turned out to be the inverter," said Kevin Hagen, director of sales and marketing for Xantrex.

Just because you get a "good price" at Costco does not mean its junk!

I agree expecting 1000w delivered is asking too much from the vanagon battery system. There is no way I will run golf cart batteries in my vanagon, I am sweating the idea of two full sized batteries in the van now because of weight. I may run a deep cycle a much smaller starting battery to keep the weight down.

I bought the 1000w inverter because it is not much bigger than the smaller inverters and may offer a margin when asking less of the inverter. The other choices seemed to be around 500w and I wanted a bit more for a brief load like a power drill.

I did try it with my 9amp sawsall and it did run it which surprised me, I had jumper cables attached to a battery.

I think the main stuff I will use it for is low draw ac stuff like lap tops etc perhaps if they ever make a "micro" microwave for the westy I may run one I am thinking about 3-500 watts

Doug

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dennis Haynes" <dhaynes@optonline.net> To: "'Doug in Calif'" <vanagon@ASTOUND.NET>; <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Saturday, October 16, 2004 6:48 AM Subject: RE: Second Battery / Battery wiring / 110vt Inverter