Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 Oct 2004 00:02:52 +1300
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Re: aerodynamics, was: 101 MPH Vanagon!

>ProjectZwo had some bolt-on stuff that was supposed to help >Not sure if it was aerodynamic or just apperance help but anyway, a rear >wing, side skirts and a deeper air dam >But I guess the best thing to do to reduce drag would be shorter (lower) >coilspring, smaller mirrors and narrow rims and tyres :-) >And the Vanagon is not all bad, if you check Cw value and not bother about >front area (Cw x A) itīs actually supposed to be better than a Jaguar E-Type >!

The T2 bus was also better than the XKE Jag, and I'd bet (if anyone bothered to test one) the T1 would be also.

I have grave doubts that Projektzwo's kit has been anywhere near a windtunnel, likewise the stock airdam.

Vans may be relatively aerodynamic, but they still have a large frontal area, which means that they still have to push all that air aside... which is why they start to gulp fuel as speed rises above ~100-110kmh.

What Calle says about reducing that frontal area is correct, but with such a large vehicle the effect would be minimal. A roof-chop, channel and perhaps narrowing the van... anyone good at PhotoShop? -- Andrew Grebneff Dunedin New Zealand Fossil preparator <andrew.grebneff@stonebow.otago.ac.nz> Seashell, Macintosh, VW/Toyota van nut