Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 17 Oct 2004 09:59:46 -0400
From:         Don Sturgill <dssturgill@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: 84 oil gunk in coolant

To follow up on my head gasket leak ordeal: It appears that I did successfully stop the leak (for now) using Bars-Leak. One of you said that what I thought was oil in the coolant was most likely old Bars-leak. I believe that is accurate. I flushed the system really well and followed the directions on the can. Also prayed a bit. Looks like I have a reprieve. That will allow me the time to see how this engine is, in general, before getting too far into the cash flow. This is a recently acquired bus. Things learned:

1) It is important to follow the instructions on the Bars-Leak. Takes some time and effort, but appears to be worth it.

2) I really don't think that it is necessary to lift the bus 400mm to get the air out. My guess is that it should be lifted to at least 400mm TOTAL, not additional. I just lifted her as far as I could with my floor jack and it worked fine.

3) Using a plumber's tool (a rubber nozzle that swells up and exerts pressure) worked great for flushing. I didn't think, though, about the potential for one to pop due to the sharp edges of the coolant pipes (I flushed every orifice I could find). It was loud. The fix was to insert a plastic funnel into the pipes (and into the smaller heater hoses) then stick the plumber's tool into the funnel. Worked fine.

4) Safety glasses are great for keeping dirtballs out of your eyes.. But they only work if you use them.

5) To get to the left upper bolt that holds the engine shroud, just spin off the oil filter. Not much oil is lost.

Next step is getting the idle fixed. I posted yesterday about that. no cold idle. John has directed me to the air regulator setup. Thanks, John. And thanks to all of you who have offered advice and observations from your experience. This is the best list in town.l

I am leaving the engine shrouds off until I am sure the leak is stopped. Is that a real bad idea? Also, does anyone have experience fixing the dash clock? Mine works, but is only right twice a day. My weekender package has a closet that fits in the left back and is real handy, but it blocks the engine cover and makes access difficult. Anyone looking for one, let me know.

The local main man for repairs (Rick, from Rick's VW) is pretty well retired and getting ready to move north. Anyone out there been wanting to move to sunny south florida, Sarasota is wide open for business. Come on down.

Dss

84 Vanagon Weekender