Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 17 Oct 2004 20:25:49 EDT
From:         Chris Dixon <Jahsurf@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Jimmy Buffett, Syncro Owner. KUDOS to those who helped.
Comments: To: syncro@yahoogroups.com, adventurewagen@yahoogroups.com

Well, I just dropped off a 1990 Syncro Adventurewagen to Jimmy Buffett in Laguna Beach today. Without getting too into the story, I used to work for him writing a sort of web travelogue in 99-2000, and when he came out to CA a few months ago, we went surfing at San Onofre. He saw the Adventurewagen-topped Syncro Westy that I bought from Veronica Fraga. "Damn dude," he said, "this is niiiiice." I saw him later in the summer when I drove out to eastern Long Island with my wife. He drove mine and said he'd like to have one out there for the beach, Maine and Florida. So, I put out a list post out in mid-summer asking if anyone was considering selling. Mike Blackburn from Michigan had been thinking of selling his bitchin, solar topped, white '90 Adventurewagen. So I sent JB some pics and he said to go for it. In fact, he said, build it out as though you were building the ultimate syncro for yourself. Are you kidding?

Since arriving in CA, the very nice baseline van has undergone a pretty dramatic makeover in a month. As of now: -A heavy duty rebuilt locking diff 5.4.3 (or something close to that) tranny and matching locking front differential from Eric Abercrombie. Damn dude, thanks for the timely sale!! -Steve's Springs and OME shocks. It rides awesome -- especially with 235 series tires. My van has 215 TA's with the same shock/spring setup. If you're going with this suspension setup, I highly recommend 235's -- a whole other level of plush. Driving it up PCH today, he said, "I can't believe how well this thing handles". -Tranny, shocks, springs, new bushings all around, South African Big Brakes, 1 5"Rhein Wheels, 235 Series TAKO tires all expertly installed by Seth Hatfield in Santa Barbara. Seth does BADASS work and in a time pinch, he went out of his fricking way to help me get this done. I highly recommend him. -Gary Lee Rear side ladder, rear ladder and and rear tire carrier. Gary's stuff is awesome anyway, but the tire carrier, with its little shock absorber, is in a whole other league of trickness. THANKS GARY for more time crunched, but excellent work. -Volkscafe Front and rear bull bumpers with Hella Lights and a heavy duty rear mount for a class C trailer. Thanks Peter and crew for EXPERTLY turning this around in a time pinch. -Gowesty for rubber mats, a bra, a bunch of misc. parts and a Fiamma awning. Taylor and the boys went above the call to turn his stuff around and out to us in time. -Southern California Marine. Per Abercrombie's rec's, we're putting this awesome Isotherm 65ASU fridge in Jimmy's van. They got it to us pronto. The fridge is so efficient that it will run all the time on just solar/deepcycles. -South Coast Shipyard. That's right. Who better refinish the wood in the van of a sonofasonofasailor than a bunch of boat guys? The refinished wood and fixtures in this thing look siiiiiiick. -Unique Imports in Mission Viejo. Chip and crew busted ass to install the bumpers, power windows, gary lee racks, tuneup the van's current Eurospec I4 motor and do a myriad of other small things to get this rig road ready. Unique built my Hi Performance 2.3 Waterboxer last summer and it's still running very strong. -One Thirty Three Canyon Car Wash in Laguna Beach. Jeff and Eddie busted ass and it shows. Van looks damn near new after they spent hours waxing it and getting all of Blackburns' camp dust out of the nooks and crannies. If you're on Laguna Cyn. He's affordable and won't rest til yer van's trick.

Still to come: A removeable 120V AirCond for the roof hatch. (for camping in the Everglades) A honda Generator with mounting plate welded on the bumper. A Brian@Smallcar Subaru conversion. Will this be the first Vanagon to receive the impeccable Outback H6 3.0? In all likelihood, yes, a 2002 model. If we find it just won't work, then it's getting an SVX.

I want to seriously thank everyone who helped me put this sumbitch on the road. It's well on the way to becoming the most ultimate, pimped out, expedition Syncro ever. And if you're wondering, yes, Jimmy's as nice and cool as you hoped he would be. A very down to earth cat -- hence his Syncro ownership. I'll get some pics of his new mochine online as soon as I can.

Chris Dixon