Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 17 Oct 2004 19:31:36 -0700
From:         The Shaws <mindthegap01@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: jack, costs - At What Cost?

While maybe best left alone, I will chime in....

As a kid growing up (early-mid 60's) Japanese goods were "cheap". Preceived quality and true cost. My first side job was sitting in gas lines for people during the early 70's gas "shortage". Gas prices went up and american car manufacturers started making smaller cars. Toyota had been making a Corolla deluxe which my grand mother bought over the new ford mustang II. Which was the better car? Check any consumer guide about the best (quality) cars made today....they are Japanese...

Did they figure out how to make good stuff... no.. they always knew how they were just hitting a market that the american consumer wanted... inexpensive goods.

So what has changed? Only the countries that we buy these same low price goods from. Yes Thailand, Vietnam, and others. We are a Wal-Mart/ Harbor Freight Tools throw it away when broken society. If you don't believe it then why is it that 4 or 5 of the 10 richest people in america are wal-mart family members?

The quality will go up when you are ready to pay for it. Toyota's are not cheap (but they used to be), in fact you will pay more for one than an american version in the same class and get a higher quality vehicle. We have had a Toyota Previa van since 94. My friends are on their second and some on their third Dodge caravans and Ford windstars.

You really think the Chinese can't make high quality goods? Why should they when we want the cheap stuff and we don't know how to make it cheaply. In the automotive field we can only make it crappy but at least it aint expensive.

For what ever it's worth, I will not shop wal mart. But I will shop for quality and price. High price does not necesarily mean quality.

peter

----- Original Message ----- From: "jimt" <wetwesty@TACTICAL-BUS.INFO> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, October 17, 2004 5:29 PM Subject: Re: jack, costs - At What Cost?

On 10/17/04 5:32 PM, "d spence" <dspence@OANET.COM> wrote:

> As a wise mentor once said (well in fact, a lot more than once) "buy > cheap, buy twice." Exactly what I will sometimes do. Buy two cheap ones at the same time.

BTW my cheap discount microwave I use for some things is a good japanese brand name but I noted that it was made in Thailand.

The japanese make just as much stuff in other countries as everybody else. Including car parts made in mexico.

........................................ jimt Planned insanity is best. Remember that sanity is optional. http://www.tactical-bus.info (tech info) http://www.westydriver.com