Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 Oct 2004 08:32:56 -0700
From:         Craig Oda <craigoda@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: did anyone else get "test only" smog checks this year in CA?

The CA DMV notice I got 3 months ago for my Miata explained that the high-emitter profile was not random. Older cars and cars that fit a certain profile are now being sent to a test-only center.

These test-only centers are usually more expensive in my area, about $70-$85 for a SMOG test. Also, they can't perform any repairs. Since the CA testing for 2004 now test for NO emissions in addition to HC and CO, vanagons that passed in 2003 in CA may not pass the new NO emissions testing with the dyno (new this year). Some cars may have been set too learn to eat up the HC and CO. This results in increased NO, but since there was no testing for higher NO in California prior to 2004, this wasn't a big deal as far as keeping the van on the road. It may have caused some long-term engine problems if the engine was too lean. I didn't need to adjust the timing for my last test, but I know people that have successfully done this.

If in doubt, I think that getting the van to a repair shop and getting a pre-test SMOG check might be prudent. Then, discuss the required repairs with them, if any. If you have a test-only DMV notice, I think your repairs are limited to $500 (or something like that) after you fail the test. So, there are some issues involved about whether you want to fix your emissions problems prior to failing the emissions testing, then saving receipts. I think you have to take the vehicle to "approved" shops. I haven't looked at things too closely since I don't have to pass SMOG with my vanagon until 2005, but I'm researching things since I think my chances of passing the new test with my current engine are fairly slim. I'm slowly improving the running of the engine and hopefully by 2005, the engine will be spinning like a top and have super clean emissions for all three tested exhaust by-products.

Has any ever gotten reimbursed from the CA state government for repairs on the vanagon's emissions systems?

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 13:21:39 -0700, karen d <yosemite333@hotmail.com> wrote: > I talked to someone at DMV and was told it's not really random. They have a > database of what types of cars have failed smog the most in the past. Based > on that, is what determines what type and year of vehicle gets sent to Test > Only Site. > > I then asked if that means that the next time around, I will also be sent to > Test Only and he said yes. Once that car type is in the database and the > fact that your car is older the next time around, it's almost a given that > you'll be sent to Test Only from then on. > > It's a joke because they say it's random but it really isn't. > > _________________________________________________________________ > On the road to retirement? Check out MSN Life Events for advice on how to > get there! http://lifeevents.msn.com/category.aspx?cid=Retirement >