Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 Oct 2004 09:12:45 -0700
From:         Yoel and Tina Crane <yoelandtina@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Fuel Filter or Bad Gas? Or more?

Hi All, I just got back from camping in the Sierra's and had a little problem with fuel. Looking for your thoughts on causes and solutions.

91 Multivan automatic transmission, 200,000+ miles (about 15k on a rebuilt engine)

Problems started on Friday night as I was driving up into the foothills. Felt some "lurching" while going up hill. I was giving it gas but got no response, RPM's dropped!! That happened twice. I was somewhere between 5-6000 ft in elevation. Made it to the campsite without any further problems. Campsite is above 7000ft

Started up fine on Sunday morning but stalled a few times trying to get out. Maybe it was just cold? I stalled going downhill on my way to the main road. Same problem as Friday night, no response when giving it gas. Stalled once more before getting to the main road. It was 22 miles to the next town and needless to say I stalled about 10 times before making it to town, mostly on downhills. There were some backfires and knocks, sounded as if there was something clogging the fuel line or filter.

Once in town I put some fuel system cleaner in and topped it off with high octane gas (a recommendation from a passenger). It ran fine after that all the way home. Once home and unpacked I had to move the van and encountered the same unresponsiveness and some backfires while switching from reverse to drive and being on a steep hill (in San Francisco).

Looked through the previous owner records and found no receipts for work done on the fuel system. I'm thinking the filter must have been changed.

Does this experience sounds familiar? Bad gas or the fuel filter? Both?

I was thinking of replacing the fuel filter first and seeing if that makes a difference.

What octane gas are people normally putting in?

What about the cleanliness of the tank. Is that something to worry about with over 200k? If so, should i have it cleaned?

Regards, Yoel

-- Tina and Yoel Crane mailto:yoelandtina@gmail.com