Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 Oct 2004 09:43:38 -0700
From:         Craig Oda <craigoda@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fuel Filter or Bad Gas? Or more?
Comments: To: Yoel and Tina Crane <yoelandtina@gmail.com>

Yoel, I believe that in your model van, there is some type of cardboard air inlet that the airbox sucks air from. I don't have this on my 83.5, but I heard that sometimes the air inlet collapses on later model vans. Maybe check to make sure that the van is sucking air properly? Maybe you can disconnect that snorkel for a while? I don't know what it looks like.

Other than, air, there's fuel. If the fuel filter is plugged, you can test it by running a short piece of fuel line in place of the filter. If it's after the pump, you'll need FUEL INJECTION line, not the usual stuff they have at Kragen on those rolls out front. I've actually seen OSH sell fuel injection line. I'm sure you can find it at other places. While you're under the van, might want to drain out a bit of gas from the tank and see what's in there. The line is just on with a hose clamp. You can also drive the van around and wait until the tank is almost empty and then drain it completely, then drop the tank and then jostle it around to get all the stuff out. However, I'm not sure this is your problem. If you're like me, you'll probably try the easy stuff first like the gas treatment that absorbs water in the gas. You can also verify fuel pressure with a fuel pressure gauge that you can cheaply construct from a water pressure gauge that OSH sells for under $7 (I think). You can get fuel line fittings from Kragen and OSH. I had to scrounge around to get good, tight fittings.

If you have air and fuel, try disconnecting the O2 sensor. Maybe your fuel/air mixture is messed up along the line. You can also test fuel/air mixture readings with a voltmeter.

There is also the possibility of a cracked ECU board. Note that I don't have the ECU from the donor van we parted out. Kevin was not able to get all the electronics out. So, I can't offer to swap out the ECU for you. My van uses a different ECU.

My first guess would be that the air intake tube collapsed. I'm a novice.

Regards, Craig

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 09:12:45 -0700, Yoel and Tina Crane <yoelandtina@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi All, > I just got back from camping in the Sierra's and had a little problem > with fuel. Looking for your thoughts on causes and solutions. > > 91 Multivan automatic transmission, 200,000+ miles (about 15k on a > rebuilt engine) > > Problems started on Friday night as I was driving up into the > foothills. Felt some "lurching" while going up hill. I was giving it > gas but got no response, RPM's dropped!! That happened twice. I was > somewhere between 5-6000 ft in elevation. Made it to the campsite > without any further problems. Campsite is above 7000ft > > Started up fine on Sunday morning but stalled a few times trying to > get out. Maybe it was just cold? I stalled going downhill on my way > to the main road. Same problem as Friday night, no response when > giving it gas. Stalled once more before > getting to the main road. It was 22 miles to the next town and needless to say I > stalled about 10 times before making it to town, mostly on downhills. > There were some backfires and knocks, sounded as if there was > something clogging the fuel line or filter. > > Once in town I put some fuel system cleaner in and topped it off with > high octane gas (a recommendation from a passenger). It ran fine after > that all the way home. Once home and unpacked I had to move the van > and encountered the same unresponsiveness and some backfires while > switching from reverse to drive and being on a steep hill (in San > Francisco). > > Looked through the previous owner records and found no receipts for > work done on the fuel system. I'm thinking the filter must have been > changed. > > Does this experience sounds familiar? Bad gas or the fuel filter? Both? > > I was thinking of replacing the fuel filter first and seeing if that > makes a difference. > > What octane gas are people normally putting in? > > What about the cleanliness of the tank. Is that something to worry > about with over 200k? If so, should i have it cleaned? > > Regards, > Yoel > > -- > Tina and Yoel Crane > mailto:yoelandtina@gmail.com >