Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 Oct 2004 21:50:08 -0400
From:         Tim Demarest <tim.demarest@POBOX.COM>
Subject:      Re: new member--85 Westy
Comments: To: jeff <ptreyesone@YAHOO.COM>

Jef,

Depends on what they mean by "rust repair"... if they are only going to work on the outside, it's a waste of money, the rust is just going to come back. On Westies, kitchen rot generally eats *out* from the inside. The biggest culprit is leaks around the utility inlets (the gaskets are crap, just a piece of foam... I don't think they work even when they are new).

Water gets in here, and sits on the horizontal frame member halfway down the wall, and at the floor (just inside the lower seam) and it's its way into (and eventually through) both. I've attached two pictures of the inside of my westie (also an '85) after I pulled the kitchen, so you'll see what I mean. All that was visible outside were a few small rust bubbles (the list server strips attachments, but I cc'd your p-mail so you should get 'em).

Other causes may be leaky water tanks/lines, or condensation... but I think these are only going to be the main causes if the van has been used for *lots* of camping.

I don't think the problem can be completely cured without sheet-metal replacement... but I do know that a little rust on the outside indicates lots on the inside. I pulled the kitchen out of my '85 westie this spring, and used POR-15 and fiberglass to seal it up. I'm not real skilled at body repairs, my only goal was to slow down the decay, not produce a show-car.

When you do put it all together again, be sure to run a bead of clear silicone around (and between) all the utility inlets, and around the fridge vent, or you'll just be letting water get inside again.

While you are looking at rust repair, there are a few other areas that often rust out: - Footwells just inside the driver and passenger door. Water gets under the rubber step and wreaks havoc. - Flat areas at the rear, just aft of the wheel-wells. - Front of van, flat area just behind the bumper. - Wheel wells, of course. They always get the brunt of the road salt.

Good luck!

Tim