Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 Oct 2004 10:45:15 -0400
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: AMC / German Cylinder Heads (LVC)

> Even if you rely on the VW logo it doesn't neccesarily mean > "made in Germany". I just sent a customer a set of coolant > hoses for her 85 Vanagon. Most of the hoses were VW and the > few aftermarket hoses were German. However she started to > get upset that some of the hoses (the VW ones) were made in > Turkey! Another one is made in England (didn't seem too > upset about that one). She should be happy that she can get > these hoses at all. There is no aftermarket for the ones > that she got upset about.

> Kolbenschmidt has plants in more countries than I could count, > and didnąt find a one in germany that I could trace castings to. > Their manufacturing in vehicle stuff seems to be everywhere >except germany. They themselves are just a division of rheinmetals. > Very interesting company with divisions in the US. I find the > massive webs of these multinationals to very interesting. Especially > with the different rules around the world about product marking.

This is more prevelant every day. With the increased globalization of industry comes a lot of ambiguity when it comes to parts origin, in terms of both where and by whom they are made. As I've noted before, it is quite common these days to see parts from "German" companies made pretty much anywhere. This includes everyone from Kolbenschmidt to Febi to Bosch to Volkswagen. Keeping up with the companies themselves is next to impossible, as they are constantly bought and sold. Some venerable German names have changed hands dozens of times. Just this month, Sachs/Boge, Lemforder, and ZF merged. The new company now gets to mix-and-match if they want to, for example putting the Boge name on products built by Lemforder. Likely they will decide what brand name label will best sell each product, maybe even on a country-by-country basis, regardless of which factory supplies the part. They are already consolidating some of their manufacturing as I write this. Similarly, Pagid, Textar, and Mintex brake pads are now all made by the same parent company. Brand names are routinely sold from one conglomerate to another, either as an ongoing concern or merely the rights to the use the brand name. It’s not uncommon for the same brand name to be licensed by one company in Europe and a totally different company in the U.S., meaning that the identically branded product on two continents is actually from two completely unrelated companies.

What's more, as these companies globalize they are not always careful to keep the country of origin labeling accurate on their products. Yes, this is supposed to be illegal, but I'm telling you it happens all the time. The "German" Kolbenschmidt heads that were actually Spanish are just one example. I have also seen "German" motor mounts that were actually made in India, and genuine Volkswagen bus rear hatch seals mislabeled as German by VW themselves when I know for a fact they were Brazilian.

This doesn't always mean that product quality suffers. I have found that as a rule, the better or more established brands are pretty picky about what they put their names on, no matter where they make the part. They have spent decades building their brand image and loyalty among both their wholesale and end-user customers, and are too smart to throw that all away and dilute the brand by putting their name on junk. Of course some "no name" brands don't have the same incentive. Some are just in it for a quick buck and don't care much about who they source from. Today they may be selling VW parts in America, tomorrow industrial machinery in Zimbabwe. It never ceases to amaze me how many companies display at the big annual AAPEX automotive trade show one year and are gone the next (or are a VW parts manufacturer one year and a diesel truck parts manufacturer the next). I'm sure that when I go to the show next month half of the booths will be new. A lot of them are hardly more than one guy with a dozen parts lined up on a card table. The price may be right but God only knows where the parts are coming from. The scary thing is, after the show some of these parts start turning up in the catalogs of the big import parts wholesalers, and having seen the parts "in person" I would never in a million years put one on my van. Some of these distributors will sell anything if the price is right. :-(

Once again it comes down to dealing with a trustworthy parts retailer who bothers, and cares, to keep up with these sorts of changes, and make sure that what you get is the best quality possible within the realm of currently available alternatives. Fortunately there are several vendors on this list alone who fall into that category.

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW

_____________________________________________ Toll-Free for Orders by PART # : 1-866-BUS-DEPOT