Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 Oct 2004 19:54:56 -0500
From:         Jim Felder <felder@KNOLOGY.NET>
Subject:      Re: Dual Battery Installation Instructions on Ebay

Larry,

I set up a second batter because we camp in such remote places that getting starting help might take a long time. I use a $30 lawnmower battery on a relay.

My explicit, downloadable relay instructions are at http://www.knology.net/~felder/Vanagons/.

Why the small battery? Because it's more adequate if you plan for it, it doesn't cost much and it doesn't weigh much. It's very small, too. We use only fluorescents (two two-tubes) and LEDs (six) for interior lights. We watch DVDs etc., charge phones and so forth through a 400W inverter that's off when we're not using it. We've stayed several days, run through a tank of water, had light and kitchen/heater exhaust fans (4" computer fans) all night and some of the day.

As far as recharging goes, anywhere we've driven (three miles or so at least) seems to do the trick. Your alternator belt will let you know with a squeal that it's doing some hard work for a while after you start.

Jim