Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 20 Oct 2004 18:16:22 -0700
From:         BenT <syncro@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Test Only Center BS
Comments: To: Wognacious <wognacious@sbcglobal.net>

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 18:07:57 -0700, Wognacious <wognacious@sbcglobal.net> wrote: > Listies, > I have an 85 Westy and got my registration renewal in > Arnold's California and it too has a Test Only Center > requirement for my smog test. First time that's > happened and I want to know what I should/need to do > to ensure that I pass. Meaning adjusting the timing, > putting in the fuel additives etc, etc. I've got a > pretty clean running engine, I think, but I don't want > to go through any hassles. Is a pre-test available at > test only centers? I'm pretty sure that if I have the > time I could get the CAT hot enough to burn off any > bad stuff, do they give you that kind of time? Any > experienced help would be greatly appreciated.... > TIA, > Paul Rogers > 85 Westy Weekender, I think

Paul,

My investigation into this matter recently told me that there is no functional difference between the equipment used by "test only" stations vs. regular smog check establishments. This was confirmed by no less than three inspectors in my area.

Got my prestest done at my local VW shop. Then went to the the test only facility.

BenT

http://members.aol.com/bentbtstr8/myhomepage/index.html