Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 15 Oct 2004 11:09:33 -0700
From:         Rocket J Squirrel <j.michael.elliott@ADELPHIA.NET>
Subject:      Re: Breaking exhaust port bolt loose, 1.9L
Comments: To: vw4x4@fyi.net

Your advice is good, except my box wrench won't fit 'round the head of the bolt. I can get an open-end wrench on it, or a socket (at a slight angle), but the exhaust pipe is too close to get the box end on.

About heating a nut with a torch -- this would be a new technique to me.

If this was a nut then heating would make the nut expand -- is that why you recommend heating it?

But here we have a bolt (see Page 26.7 Bentley Vanagon, "exhaust pipe, front") so I wonder if heating it would accomplish much.

On the other hand, if all we are trying to do is heat these not-rusty but bonded parts then allow them to cool in order to weaken the bond, it makes sense to do it here.

-- Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott 71 Type 2: the Wonderbus 84 Westphalia: "Mellow Yellow (The Electrical Banana)" KG6RCR