Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 Oct 2004 15:22:32 EDT
From:         JordanVw@AOL.COM
Subject:      Re: Installing a pop-top on a non-pop top EASY  ???  IN ONE
              WEEDEND ??
Comments: To: sam.cooks@VERIZON.NET

In a message dated 10/21/04 1:57:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time, sam.cooks@VERIZON.NET writes:

> > Carefully read the web page on the "easy method" done by Karl Bloss and > Chris and the linked page where the van is offered for sale - it has no > bed, just a pop top. One of the main reasons people do it the harder > way is to get the bed. Others who have the bed say they rarely use it > except as a storage space when camped and using the Westy interior. > > The foundation for the Westy upper bed is an integral part of the Westy > top - which is not the same as the top of a regular vanagon with a hole > cut into it. The Westy top is a flat platform for the bed. Part of > that is a rather beefy cross bar that would provide some significant > structural support to the van's roof. The regular van's roof line is > curved. I haven't ever seen pictures of a bed installed into a van > converted in the manner Karl and Chris did the job although this poptop > addition idea gets discussed from time to time and Chris always asserts > that it is easy, etc. They didn't do this part at all, much less in a > weekend. >

karl and i did do this to his '87 GL passenger van with weekender sofabed in one weekend.. we didnt install a upper bed because he didnt want one at that point. it was just him and his wife, before they had any kids and the sofabed was good enough.. but this has been hashed and re-hashed over and over on the list - its all in the archives - and adding a platform for an upper bunk would have been easy..if you look in the archives, i had measured the distance between the apex of the pass van roof and the poptop - and there is enough space for a plywood platform to lay the cushions on, up there, and still be able to close the poptop on the passenger van's roof. . (i had a westy poptop sitting on a passenger van and thats how i got the measurements - i measured thru the skylight hole). as far as structural integrity - there are no roof supports cut.. just sheetmetal the size of a vanagon sunroof hole. the hole is cut between the B and C pillar roof beams, leaving them both intact.. IIRC Mark drillock has done it the easy way - AND added a upper bunk platform - he is the person karl got his idea from in the first place.. best thing to do is check the archives and read his past posts.. im sure he gets tired of talking about it :<) Does he have any pics? dunno. ask him. No flames here Sam, but if karl wanted the upper bunk we could have done it..it just wasnt important to him at the time.

basically do what you like, but not everyone has acess to a welder or $$ to pay someone to do it, and those who dont shouldnt be discouraged. . it can be done the easy way, with a functional, satisfactory outcome with minimal tools and funds, in one weekend..

remember, vw vans are one of the most highly modified, altered, converted vehicles on this planet. modify yours to suit your needs :<)

chris (and no, i actually dont have a whole poptop for sale at the moment either..just a front luggage rack)