Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 Oct 2004 21:25:25 -0400
From:         tmiller <tmiller@VCMAILS.COM>
Subject:      Re: noise reduction
Comments: To: Reinhard Vehring <rvehring@YAHOO.COM>

thanks for your response. I use "Brown Bread". It is much less expensive than Dynamat and equally effective in keeping panels from vibrating. And insulating the whole right side of my Westy made a difference, subjectively. Feels more solid. Big difference in how the sliding door sounds now, when I close it. But, surprise, the noise level at highway speed didn't change measurably, the meter doesn't lie. Damping the panels only takes care of a narrow frequency range were the panels can resonate. It helps to avoid rattles and reduces unwanted resonances in the mid and bass range. But it did not take care of the noise problem as much as I wanted to believe it after that much work. I also tried sound absorbers or barriers. I put carpet on the panels, which absorbs some higher frequencies, and put open cell foam behind the panels, which is a reasonable sound barrier / absorber. Stereo sounds cleaner but still no significant improvement on noise. Maybe the only way to reduce the noise is to generate less? Softer / different suspension, replace worn bearings maybe? Tires with different tread pattern, maybe 15" rims with wider tires at lower pressure? Basically after my mildly successful insulating attempts I'd like to get a feel for how much improvement I can achieve before I spend the big $ So how noisy is your ride? Reinhard, 83 Westy, "Moose"

--- Joel Walker <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:jwalker17@earthlink.net">&lt;jwalker17@earthlink.net&gt;</a> wrote:

good luck! joel