Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 Oct 2004 11:08:55 -0700
From:         Tom Sinclair <neeemo@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Installing a pop-top on a non-pop top EASY  ???  IN ONE
              WEEDEND ??

I converted my 86 Syncro to a Westy. I removed the roof skins and cross members from both vans by cutting out the spotwelds and where the roof is brazed at the front and rear corners. It's a bit hard to explain, but the Westy roof boxes in the curved rail that runs around the inside top of the van. You can see this on Stuart's site. I don't agree with what Stuart did though. He's cut too much structurual metal for my taste--I didn't cut any, only transferred the relatively flimsy roof skin, but the skin was installed so that the curved rails are properly boxed in for added--and factory quality--strength.

I had a website for my conversion when I did it, but lost it when my old PC crashed. There are some pictures in the Yahoo group "Syncrolist" files section showing when it was painted last year. I could send some pictures now, but all you would see is a factory fresh Westy inside and out--which was the whole point. It was an enormous amount of work though and I would probably go the other way--Westy into Syncro--if I did it again, but in my case the wrecked, but otherwise immaculate 86 Westy, became available first and the Syncro was found to do the conversion.

Still working on the 5 cyl Tdi conversion Tom

===== http://www.TomSinclair.com