Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 Oct 2004 18:44:03 -0700
From:         Reinhard Vehring <rvehring@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: noise reduction

O.K after so many good suggestions on possible sources and way to get rid of noise, I made a few measurements today. Highway 65 mph: 80 dBA (control as before) hit the clutch, still doing 65 mpH: still 80 dBA! Well it's not the engine noise, knew that already, because that is only 73 dBA. But it's also not the transmission. Remove the driver side door panel: 82 dBA The idea that wind noise / road noise comes through the front vent openings in the door seems to make sense. Hitting a bad patch in the road, same speed: 85 dBA. Hmm. I guess wind may not be the most important source. I'll wait for a windy day and do a measurement with the wind and against.

Regardless, it seems to make sense to block the noise from the door vents. Any suggestions? Just stuffing them shut may not be a good idea. Doors get pretty wet inside when it rains and I don't like rusted out doors. Dynamatting the door doesn't help, if it's the vent opening and not sound transmitted through the sheet metal. Maybe it's better to work on the panels?

I still hope some of you guys would get a cheap sound pressure meter and measure noise so we could compare. BTW it is the only decent way to equalize your sound system IMHO.

Reinhard, 83 Westy, "Moose"