Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 Oct 2004 22:18:20 -0500
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1-1@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: AMC / German Cylinder Heads (LVC)
Comments: To: tmiller <tmiller@VCMAILS.COM>

In a recent Public Television show they said that the gasoline and diesel VW’s made in China are old technology and are terrible polluters. They are old technology so as to keep the vehicle prices down.

VW claims that the next generation will be better but still not meet Euro Pollution requirements.

I think it has a lot to do with the ability to refine fuels to higher standards required by US and Euro cars.

Stan Wilder High Performance Ceramic Coatings www.engineceramics.com

Don't forget, VW is planning on generating a toe hold on the Chinese auto market by building them there. That does not mean we won't see those vehicles elsewhere in the world. They tried to make Rabbits in PA but the QC sucked and they gave up!! TEMiller

Kenneth Wilford wrote:

Even if you rely on the VW logo it doesn't neccesarily mean "made in Germany". I just sent a customer a set of coolant hoses for her 85 Vanagon. Most of the hoses were VW and the few aftermarket hoses were German. However she started to get upset that some of the hoses (the VW ones) were made in Turkey! Another one is made in England (didn't seem too upset about that one). She should be happy that she can get these hoses at all. There is no aftermarket for the ones that she got upset about. Plus they have the VW logo on them so like Calle said you have to trust their QC (Quality Control). I hate to tell you folks this but if you read VW Trends there was an article in there recently showing the president of VW at a ground breaking ceremony for new offices in (drum roll) China! Guess where they will start moving production in the future? So getting hung up on "Made in Germany" may not be very practical in the near future. Just FYI. I still like VW. (Note to self- learn Cantonese). Ken Wilford John 3:16 HYPERLINK "http://www.vanagain.com"www.vanagain.com

I remember a story from many years ago when Swedish Match was famous all over the world (?) for itīs safety matches that would only be able to lite up on the surface of the box itself . One day there was a large number of Chinese visitors to the plant and a while after there was a request to the Swedish ambassador if the Chinese could name a factory that they have built "Sweden" to honour the Swedish Matches. The question was passed on to the government who was very flattered and said that offcourse - this was OK ! Some time later the first matchboxes was out on the market with the "Made in Sweden" mark on them . True or false - I donīt know..... I thought of it back then as just a child story but today Iīm not so sure. Itīs like the best ( IMO) cellphone Ericsson makes, the "sharkfin" antenna type (T350??) that is shock and waterproof and perfect for outdoor life - and made in China But I close my eyes to these "made in" signs on products and rely on the mother company quality check and warranties - and feel like being fooled to contribute to the company profit every time My point is - donīt be to picky about the "made in Germany" or VW logo, it might just as well be made somewhere else on the globe and maybe the aftermarket partīs made at the same place - but with a better price since it donīt need that fancy box Calle BTW - I use the Nokia 5210 phone instead of the Ericsson, itīs not quite as waterproof but smaller and (with a built in antenna) more pocket friendly ! -and contains the same cheapest in the market Taiwanese components as any other phone made ;-) ----- Original Message ----- Wrom: GDADRZFSQHYUCDDJBLVLMHAALPTCXLYRWTQTIPWI To: HYPERLINK "mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM"<vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, October 19, 2004 1:09 AM Subject: Re: AMC / German Cylinder Heads

I bought a few sets of these about two years ago to do the same thing (compare them with the AMC). Unless something has majorly changed you will see they are the same. I think I remember them saying "Germany" on the outside of the box and coming in a Kohlbenschmidt box but that is a lot different than saying "Made in Germany". I don't remember them actually saying made in Germany on the head anywhere. You will see that where the "AMC" normally is the KS logo has been engraved into the head. If you find anything different let us know. Ken Wilford John 3:16 HYPERLINK "http://www.vanagain.com"www.vanagain.com

That's the confusion: AMC heads are definitely made in Spain, however, it was reported on this list that the Kolbenschmidt heads are actually relabeled AMC heads. Today, I was told by my supplier that the Kolbenschmidt heads are actually German made (i.e., not AMC). I really won't know for certain until the Kolbenschmidts arrive and I do a side-by-side comparison. If they came from the same mold it should be fairly obvious. Cheers, Jeff HYPERLINK "http://www.vanagonparts.com"www.vanagonparts.com -----Original Message----- Wrom: TTZRCLBDXRQBGJSNBOHMKHJYFMYXOEAIJJPHSCRTNH Sent: Monday, October 18, 2004 2:38 PM To: Jeffrey Schwaia Cc: HYPERLINK "mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM"vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: AMC / German Cylinder Heads Now the question is this... I bought a Vw remanufactured engine from south africa.. but when i opened the box it came in... it had inspection stickers as far as run inspection stickers from Frankfurt, Germany.. and all paper work was in german inside the box.. would that mean my AMC heads that are one my engine are the German ones? any input? thanks all, jess 89 carat On Oct 18, 2004, at 4:56 PM, Jeffrey Schwaia wrote:

I hate to revive this thread, however, I just spoke with my supplier of the Kolbenschmidt WBX'er cylinder heads and he assured me that they are indeed made in Germany. He says Germany is cast in the head and stamped on the box. I've placed an order for a few sets so I should be able to confirm this when they arrive and I compare them side-by-side to the AMC. I'll keep the list posted. Cheers, Jeff HYPERLINK "http://www.vanagonparts.com"www.vanagonparts.com