Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 15 Oct 2004 14:09:42 -0700
From:         mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: CYLINDER #'s and FIRING ORDER - Were getting there.
Comments: To: Kurt Grotz <kgrotz@MAIL.CRAFTECH.COM>

Looking at your original problem post, the answer seems obvious. In trying to flush out your fuel system you pressurized the fuel lines with the engine stopped and key off. After a while the intake manifolds were filled with fuel and fuel dripped from everywhere.

The likely cause is a leak in the fuel pressure regulator diaphragm. The fuel pressure regulator connects to the intake system with a vacuum hose so the fuel pressure can compensate for changes in engine vacuum. The regulator can leak internally and raw fuel can go down that vacuum line and flood the intake.

Pull the vacuum line off the regulator and plug the hose. Now turn on the key so the fuel pump runs for a few seconds. There should be ZERO fuel dripping out of the vacuum port of the regulator. Start the engine and make sure there is still ZERO fuel at that port on the reg.

This is a common failure and will cause the engine to run way rich and likely stall out quickly.

The only other source that should be able to cause gross flooding of the intake is the injectors. Not hard to check if need be.

Mark