Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 Oct 2004 23:50:00 +1300
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Re: Rear disk brakes - proportioning valves?

>>Spend money on the rear brakes. it is worth it in a Vanagon. You have >>no idea how much of a difference rear disk brakes make ON THE VANAGON >>(other cars may be different). Yes, it is nice when trailering. It is >>nice at other times as well.

Raymund Feussner makes his kit, and for most folk I'm sure this would be fine.

Hansen Motorsport in Germany makes TÜV-approved kits to fit Porsche 993 brakes front & rear (available separately) and can do a studpattern to suit your wants. These are NOT cheap... cost more than many Vanagons are worth... but if you have a fast bus...

In my experience the brakes in late Type 2s are crap. My 75 had uninspiring brakes (rebuilt but still poor), as does my 85 (on the other hand I could quite easily lock the front drums in my 57 at 50mph. No way I could do that in the two later Transporters). Hence my shelling-out for a Hansen kit, with 5x114.3mm studpattern. for 993 brakes 17"-plus wheels are necessary. Jens Hansen can however build custom kits to fit 16" wheels also, using Brembo rotors.

The front:rear brake balance would need to be checked and if necessary reset after conversion. If the proportioning valve isn't adjustable, one that IS could be installed. -- Andrew Grebneff Dunedin New Zealand Fossil preparator <andrew.grebneff@stonebow.otago.ac.nz> Seashell, Macintosh, VW/Toyota van nut