Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 Oct 2004 22:48:53 -0700
From:         Doug in Calif <vanagon@ASTOUND.NET>
Subject:      Re: noise reduction
Comments: To: Reinhard Vehring <rvehring@YAHOO.COM>

The 88 on v-gons have the plastic air exhaust vents at the rear of the rear side windows. The design is set to pull air out of the van at the back. They do work and help the fresh air and heater air enter the van. You can retrofit these plastic vents to the back of 87 and earlier vans. I just did this to my 87 syncro. You will need the window glass from an 88 on as well because it is shorter to allow for the vent. There is a rubber channel that the glass sits in to fit into the plastic vent, dont loose or forget these. The outer rubber is the same size as the 87 and earlier but the late weatherstrip has no slot for the chrome trim and is all black.

If you would like to make a worthwhile project of it, pick up a set of side sliding windows from the wrecker too and adapt them to the rear D pillar locations so you can not only have the vents in the back of the van to let out air but you can open windows there too.

I just did this and it turned out cool. with the stock slider glass you can get about a 6inch opening, if you have new slider glass made you can get over 8.

I used polycarbonite for the fixed panel behind the slider to accommodate the angle and shorter length needed. The height is the same.

Doug

----- Original Message ----- From: "Reinhard Vehring" <rvehring@YAHOO.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, October 21, 2004 9:53 PM Subject: Re: noise reduction