Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 22 Oct 2004 19:07:49 -0500
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1-1@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Air cooled diesel Vanagons
Comments: To: jimt <wetwesty@TACTICAL-BUS.INFO>

I pulled all the WBX external components off an 85 Vanagon to make a Subaru Conversion into an air cooled 82 Vanagon. There are a lot of parts to get so you need to make a serious agreement with whoever is supplying your donor van. Just consider every part that holds water has to come off. Every heater control and the heater assembly behind the dash and under the rear seat. You may find yourself going back many times to get all of the necessary parts to complete your conversion. You must take special care removing the rigid plastic hot water lines and any plastic part. There is also the matter of the wire loom that contains the wiring for the Speedometer / Tachometer pod, the water temp gauge and the temperature control for your heater. It's not impossible job but it will be time consuming.

Stan Wilder High Performance Ceramic Coatings www.engineceramics.com

On 10/22/04 3:25 PM, "Larry Edson" <sonofed@KARMANNGHIA.ORG> wrote:

> Last night I was complaining to a friend about the new California smog law > when I had an idea about maybe putting a diesel Vanagon engine into one of > my pre smog VWs. But not knowing anything about them I don't know if it > would even be possible. Are the diesel engines from the early '80s based > on a Type 4 gas engine? Are there other things besides the fuel injection > that would need to be retrofitted into another car to make this work? > > Larry > sonofed@karmannghia.org > www.ghiatwins.homestead.com > O o\ /o O > > I have seen it done by a few. If your talking into the air cooled you will need to put a radiator and appropriate hoses in. the lower mounts for the radiator are actually there on almost all vanagons. You just have to cut the lower grill hole and then mount the grill and then get the upper rad mounts out of a junk yard.

Get the entire works from a diesel donor. The computer, fuel pump, motor mounts, transmission and mounts. Getting it all as one unit makes it a lot easier.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••• jimt Planned insanity is best. Remember that sanity is optional. http://www.tactical-bus.info (tech info) http://www.westydriver.com