Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 23 Oct 2004 19:03:52 -0500
From:         Bruce Nadig <motorbruce@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Project Vanagon Dyno Results & Comparison
Comments: To: icecoldvw@hotmail.com

Jeff,

The reason that the stock rebuilt engine generated a measured 77 hp at the rear wheels is that there is "driveline loss" between the crank and the wheels. It takes some power to overcome the friction of turning all of the gears in the transmission, the inner and outer CV joints, and the wheel bearings themselves.

Manufacturers usually quote "crank horsepower" as this is the larger of the numbers they have to work with. As a general rule, you can anticipate that driveline losses will account for 10 to 15 percent of the crank horsepower.

Here is the math. The stock Vanagon 2.1 engine is rated at 94 horsepower (I believe). A 15% driveline loss would account for about 14.1 horsepower. That would mean that IF (and I did say if) the engine was producing 94 horsepower AND there was a 15% driveline loss, then you would anticipate the wheel horsepower to be about 79.9. This is very close to the 77 that was actually measured (about a 3% difference).

The rebuilt Boston Bob engine was running strong. It has approximately 20,000 miles since the rebuild, and the owner is very happy with its performance. From this dyno test, I would conclude that the Boston Bob engine was performing very well.

As a comparison, the Porsche engine in my Vanagon is rated by Porsche as having 217 horsepower. In addition, I have added a performance computer chip, a test pipe (hollow replacement for the cat), and a free flowing exhaust (good for a few hp). With these power producing upgrades, my Vanagon produced 196.8 horsepower at the wheels. Now lets assume that there is a 15% driveline loss for the Porsche set up (it is actually probably closer to 10%). That would mean that I am producing approximately 230 horsepower at the crank.

I hope that this makes things more clear. I do believe that a Boston Bob engine is probably one of the best that you can get. Not only did my friend's engine perform well, to my knowledge, he is very happy with it and has had no reliability issues after initial installation (there was one small glitch then, but I don't know what it was).

Cheers, Bruce motorbruce motorbruce@hotmail.com