Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 25 Oct 2004 21:56:45 +0200
From:         Robin Oomkes <roomkes@ZONNET.NL>
Subject:      Re: Insulated pop top sleeve / cold weather boot/ heating/
              insulation
Comments: To: Doug in Calif <vanagon@ASTOUND.NET>

Hi all,

I've used it now for one night but it wasn't really cold enough (around 8 C, which is low 50s F I guess?) to see if it really made a difference.

It fastens like a cooking apron without a neck strap: you pull it tight at the rear and the two flaps overlap and hold on to each other by velcro. If you pull the whole thing backwards strong enough, it fits snug against the canvas.

The only bit that didn't properly fit was at the top front - there it sagged a bit. I think it needs some straps to tie it to the little triangular reinforcements at the top - that should hold it in place.

But let me repeat what I wrote before: I think it's MUCH more important to first fix the insulation of the body and windows of the van before worrying about the poptop. With my current van I got a set of cab window insulating screens out of the same material as the poptop sleeve and they *really* make a noticeable difference on chilly nights (all other windows are plastic double glazing already, and the body of European Jokers was insulated with some kind of fiber material).

I'll take pictures the next time I've got the sleeve up on the van.

Robin '88 Westy Joker TD '03 R1150GS ----- Original Message ----- From: "Doug in Calif" <vanagon@ASTOUND.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, October 22, 2004 11:21 PM Subject: Insulated pop top sleeve / cold weather boot/ heating/ insulation

Well, Ask and you shall receive.

I have been looking for any ideas on a "cold boot" for the top and here Robin is over in Germany buying a factory one as we speak.

Here is the link:

http://server2.gs-shop.de/200/cgi-bin/shop.dll?sessionid=0791816934710369&AnbieterID=4357

If this does not work go to T3 Westfalia /Zubehor to find it.

Doug