Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 25 Oct 2004 15:31:43 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Hit 4 Deer...Need body Parts
Comments: To: jimt <wetwesty@TACTICAL-BUS.INFO>

Deer scare me, so I don't drive much at night. I live right next door to a state park, and the deer are protected, and protected, and protected. So much so that they have eaten themselves out of house and home, and now their ramblings are taking them across the roads at night in large numbers in some areas. There are so many they have affected the natural environment by eating all the new vegetation and new young trees coming up under the canopy. This is affecting all the animals in the area. The state tried to have a limited hunt last year, but it was pretty much a flop. Of the deer taken, most were stunted or diseased -- not in the best of health. And they are causing a problem.

Worse yet though are the deers cousins - the moose. Norther tier folk know what-of I speak. Those bloody things are nearly impossible to see at night, and if one decides to cross the road in front of you , well, look out. A real hazard is the cow moose that had a pair of calves last year. The babies stay with mom until the second year, and often when they are yearlings ... in that second year, they will travel hanging just back behind her - as they did when they were small - and when mom crosses the road, they hang in the bushes until she gets across, then just as she reaches the brush at the edge of the road, the young ones, trying to keep their sights on mom, will break from cover and dash across the road.

Tourons - on their trip of a lifetime - visiting in Alaska - and I' sure other places - are often drawn into this moose trap. The Cow moose draws the tourons attention and they watch her intently as she races to the brush across the road, not knowing that two half grown yearlings are about to bust out of the brush right in the front of their moving vehicle. I've seen this scenario in Alaska a 100 times if I've seen it once. Very sad for all concerned. Wrecked moose, wrecked car, wrecked trip. Hopefully no wrecked turons, though they are as often as not.

Drive safe!

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver - survivor of several very close "Moose Calls"