Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 25 Oct 2004 16:55:12 -0700
From:         jbange <hfinn@INGRATES.NET>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon locksmith
Comments: To: Lucas Thompson <Lucas.Thompson@WATCHGUARD.COM>

>My 82 westy is sans keys. Can anyone recommend a good locksmith? I have >a feeling that it does not have the original ignition lock because my >other van's key will fit it if I jiggle it a little but not any of the >doors.

It's possible that the ignition does match the doors and is just really worn or really gummed up. Either (or both) of these conditions can cause a key that's close enough on the few un-stuck lock wafers to operate the lock.

>Ideally I'd like to have a key made that fits the ignition and doors.

Well, if you need both anyway, your best bet is to pull off a door handle and bring it in to a locksmith who has access to lock code books (Reed's Codes, HPC CodeSource, etc.) and can cut vehicle keys by code. The door handle has a 4 digit number on the mechanism that corresponds to a particular "key bitting". For a nominal fee (don't pay more than $10, I'd say) they can make you a key by code that'll likely fit the door handle, which you can then take home and try on the ignition. If that doesn't work, you're looking at removing the ignition cylinder (which requires drilling, see the Bentley pg 94.4, fig. 7) and either just buying a new one pre-keyed, or sending/taking yours somewhere for repair ar repinning.

>I noticed "steve's locks shoppe" and have a call in to them. Email to >him bounces though.

If all else fails and you can't get ahold of Steve and nobody in your area is willing to do it for a reasonable price, I can cut you a key from the 4-digit code. I am a locksmith and I don't do a lot of automotive anymore (transponder & side-milled keys have turned it into a specialty unto itself), but I can definitely cut keys and probably get replacement ignition cylinders. I may even be able to service locks, but I'm not sure I still have the Volkswagen lock service kit (I will have to check tomorrow). Let me know via pmail if you need anything.

John Bange '90 Vanagon "Geldsauger"