Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 26 Oct 2004 07:51:06 -0700
From:         TJ Hannink <tjhannink@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: That Audiovox Cruise Control
Comments: To: Rocket J Squirrel <j.michael.elliott@ADELPHIA.NET>

1. I installed the vacuum canister on my Vanagon after using it without for a couple of months. I didn't notice a whole lot of difference in the performance of the system. Before photo: <http://home.earthlink.net/~tjhannink/photos/Cruise_Control_Solenoid.jpg> After photo: <http://home.earthlink.net/~tjhannink/photos/Cruise_Control_Solenoid_Vacuum_Canister.jpg>

I re-used the wiring for the rear heater to bring the control wiring into the drivers area. The control module mounts where the fan switch for the rear heater was previously located. <http://home.earthlink.net/~tjhannink/photos/Cruise_Control_Switch.jpg>

I have the complete write-up of the installation in the [Files] section of the Wolfsburg_Campers Yahoo!Group, see my signature for the link.

2. My servo unit is mounted under the Camper in front of the transaxle crossmember. The cable parallels the throttle cable into the engine compartment. It was previously mounted to the firewall/bulkhead, but have since drilled another hole in the bracket that the throttle cable sheath bolts to and fastened the sheath for the cruise cable to it.

I fabricated a snap-on ball-socket end for the cruise cable, flipped the stock cruise arm with the ball connection on the throttle connection upside down so it is directly above the throttle cable connection and snapped them together; very simple after the fabrication.

Here is a photo of the connection: <http://home.earthlink.net/~tjhannink/photos/Cruise_Control_Cable_Connec.jpg>

Let me know if you need any other info.

Thanks,

Tim Rocket J Squirrel <j.michael.elliott@ADELPHIA.NET> wrote: I know from searching the archives that others have tried, and like, the Audiovox cruise control

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ProductDisplay/s-10101/p-273/c-10101

I am tempted to get it for Mellow Yellow, but before doing so, I have a couple of questions for the folks who already have installed one:

1. A vacuum canister is "recommended when installing cruise control on vehicles with 4 cylinders or less." Did you use this canister?

2. How does the control's servo connect to the throttle body or throttle cable in order to control the engine rpm's? Was it easy as cake, or a challenge to mount/attach?

-- Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott 71 Type 2: the Wonderbus 84 Westphalia: "Mellow Yellow (The Electrical Banana)" KG6RCR