Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 26 Oct 2004 09:57:44 -0500
From:         Rob Campbell <rob@PHEMP.COM>
Subject:      losing power and some thin smoke

Hello-

I'm out in middle of nowhere texas on the return leg of a x-country drive.

the engine has been running perfectly until yesterday. the day started with me noticing it seeming "heavy", not accelerating as well as it should. I accounted for this by remembering that I had been driving a friends non-westy van around for the previous days and maybe i had gotten used to the lighter van.

I stopped to get propane, and as I was pulling up to the hose, the van stalled. this seemed strange, but I figured it was my fault. Later down the road, as I stopped for lunch, it stalled repeatedly, it was idling at like 300 rpm instead of the usual 900. If I kept a hint of gas going, it would be fine. I thought this might be the idle control unit, which I have had trouble with (it was running way too high in that case).

After a couple hours driving, I started to really think something was not right. The van would not go more than 50 in 4th gear (3200 rpm or so) despite more gas left on the pedal. On a similar road, I would expect my van to be able to do 65 or 70 at 3800 rpm.

I stopped and opened the back hatch, and thin, whispy white smoke was coming from what seemed to be the rear of the engine (near the power steering pump). This is where the smoke was exiting, I could not pinpoint its source. The smoke smelled like burning plastic, my first thought was that wire insulation or other plastic material had come loose and was touching sometrhing hot it shouldnt.

The engine still starts fine, temp is great, it has correct levels of oil and coolant.

I'm worried that this is a pretty fundamental engine problem, one of the pistons not working or a leak. I am a mechanical novice, so dont know much about how to diagnose this myself. I am having a general mechanic look at it today (in Alpine TX), but I dont have great hopes. My questions are...

what might this be?

how critical is it to take care of right away?

if it is critical, can anyone suggest a mechanic near the TX/NM border area? it would be 9 hours back to austin, where Underground VW is.

If you have any thoughts on this, please respond to rob@phemp.com since i am only reading in digest mode and dont have good net access here.

oh yes, it is an 87 westy camper

thanks

rob dokodemo.org