Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 22 Oct 2004 07:20:35 -0600
From:         jimt <wetwesty@TACTICAL-BUS.INFO>
Subject:      Re: B/W darkroom work while on the road/camera people help
Comments: To: Chuck Reisinger <chuckphoto@EARTHLINK.NET>

On 10/21/04 6:04 PM, "Chuck Reisinger" <chuckphoto@EARTHLINK.NET> wrote:

> OK...I must confess that I don't shot digital and most likely NEVER > WILL....I'm a Black and White camera guy...has anyone figured out a way to > develop B/W white film while underway/on the road...I'll be heading into some > pretty remote areas to do photography....please post your > ideas/recommendations here or send me an e-mail chuckphoto@earthlink.net > > Thanks > Chuck > > Back in the 70s I did that several times. DonΉt know what chemicals are like today though. Back then temperature was critical and ended up doing most of my film at night and we carrying three coolers of dry ice for a 5 day trip. Then carrying enough water was the other problem.

Used an item called a loading bag to load up the reels/cannisters in. it is a bag like thing with elastic holes to stick your hands into and a zippered section to drop the empty developing cannister and exposed rolls into. They were in sized all the way from a couple rolls of 35mm to loading panoramic motion 70mm cans. Load up the reel(s) put in developing cannister close up remove from bag add developer and carry on.

The same bag was used to reload our film cannisters for the camera as well. Through about 20 empties into the bag and the bulk 35mm pack and a ROUND tipped scizzors. Pointy ones cause problems with holes.

I would suspect that todays chemicals would be easier to handle but that water would still be a biggie but not as bad of one.

We carried powdered developer and fixer and neutralizer mixes.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••• jimt Planned insanity is best. Remember that sanity is optional. http://www.tactical-bus.info (tech info) http://www.westydriver.com