Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 Oct 2004 08:53:16 -0400
From:         Rick Koller <rkoller@HELIX.NIH.GOV>
Subject:      Re: Wasserboxer stalling

Hi T-Man, You have mentioned many of the potential trouble spots for stalling in your post. My list of intermittent vanagon stalling incidents is the following: 1. Partially broken big red wire on the back of the alternator, couldn't be seen until I took it off the alternator and saw the broken strands of copper in the ring connector. Recrimped wire in new connector, problem solved. 2. Bad throttle position switch, caused stalling at startup. Test revealed bad contact in it, replaced it. 3. Bad Hall sensor/distributor. Van gave hints that I didn't recognize before it completely failed. Occasional ignition miss ( that I foolishly pretended weren't happening) while driving evolved into intermittent stalling and finally no start. I checked all the components in the ignition system gave it a tuneup with no success. Finally took out distributor and the shaft had way too much play down where it connects to the drive shaft at the cam. This should be tight, not much wiggle. Replaced distributor problem solved. Maybe excess play destroyed Hall sensor or prevented it from functioning. 4. Bad ECU's had an extra that fixed the problem, then that went bad too. They were old ECU's. I have another van so could check this easily. Was told by mechanic that old coils can fry ECU's, don't know if true but I replaced the coil too and it stopped eating ECU's. 5. Bad temp II sensors ( twice ) the blue ones, although this wasn't intermittent and is obvious when it happens, van started and ran until warm and then would run too rich, with black smoke and gas fumes coming out of the exhaust. 6. Bad splice connection at O2 sensor wires, rain would infiltrate bad solder connection causing stalling and low power. 7. Broken power steering switch wires, I forgot about checking this connection and spent useless hours checking all of the above. Hope this helps. Rick Koller '90 syncro westie '91 gl, '91 carat