Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 Oct 2004 12:44:09 -0400
From:         Dennis <guskersthecat@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: engineering nightmares vehicles was: cruise control
              speedometer sensor
Comments: To: Tim Demarest <tim.demarest@POBOX.COM>

Tim, my thoughts exactly. Human beings are truly puzzling creatures at times. I liken flames to hockey fights...everyone stands up and cheers, and then condemns hockey players for checking each other from behind and breaking each other's necks. I've noticed a few users' propensity for uncorinthian behaviour on this list...I'm learning to ignore them.

Everyone has their preferences...period. A well designed conversion using I4 or Subaru...or anything else, will reward its owner with whatever attributes they were looking for when they chose the conversion in the first place. My choice to drop in an 2.0 litre I4 has rewarded me with the three things I was looking for:

Better mileage by 28% Better power by 50% Better reliability

Anytime someone strays from a stock setup, they assume the responsibility for safety, reliability, and performance.

Someone looking for quarter mile times in the 15's would have put in a WRX, someone willing to re-gear the automatic or swap in a 5 speed would have put in a TDI, someone looking to spend less money would have put in a rebuilt WBX ...blah blah blah

It's great that the various lists and websites exist so informed and rational folks can make a decision to scrap, rebuild or convert as they see fit. Having said that, anyone who doesn't do an I4 is nuts....hee hee.