Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 22 Oct 2004 08:43:51 -0500
From:         David Devere <vwpub@ONWORDBOUNDBOOKS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Coolant gauge calibration

David, My 87 Synrco Westy temp needle runs a needle's width from the top of the warning light. In 90 degree weather or 20 degree weather it runs the same. If I have a slight leak in the front hose (the wormgear clamp there comes loose a bit) it will run slightly hotter. Tighten the clamp and I'm back to normal position again. With a tail wind the needle will sit right smack on the warning light. Sometimes the needle won't register at all or be too high and I'll go to the temp sensor in the back and scrap the corrosion of the contact and it will return to working properly. As for temperature, I believe the fan kicks on at 85 degrees and at that time the needle is a full width above the warning light. If it ever goes above a full width which is almost the top of the gauge I stop and find the problem, the only time this has happened is when the t-piece broke and I was out of fluid. Luckily I was next to Lake Superior and filled the van with lake water for the return trip home.

Hope this helps, -Dave Two Harbors MN