Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 28 Oct 2004 15:53:52 -0700
From:         Jim Thompson <jim@KARMANNGHIA.COM>
Subject:      Re: vanagon Digest - Please trim replies - cofap pistons reply

I'll second jimt's recommendation. I have utilized many an engine rebuild, mostly air cooled for the past thirty years with COFAP p&c's. Got a lot of respectable mileage out of COFAP, despite the misgivings of others I've encountered. The problem is that some Brazilian made items justifiably receive a bad rap because of poor quality in manufacture, workmanship and fit, so the good stuff that is coming out of Brazil is wrongfully being "lumped" in with the bad. I couldn't begin to estimate the number of hours spent in "cherry-picking" thru Brazilian-made products when researching on what to carry and sell when I was in the business for 20+ years on my own. I'm sure other vendors (on and off this list) spend an enormous time making sure that if a Brazilian (or other 3rd world country) is to be offered, that it is the best quality they can get (OTOH. COFAP, along with MAHLE is OEM to the VW factories in Brazil, Mexico and elsewhere in the world where they have produced the Air Cooled variety. When doing parts research, I quickly learned that there were two kinds of Brazil made parts - OE VW (or OE made for VW's use) and Aftermarket Brazil. Never really had a problem with the OE stuff, but most Aftermarket Brazil was (and still is) garbage

My 2.1 utilizes COFAP p&c's and have never had a problem with them.

YMMV

Jim Thompson 84 Westfalia 2.1 "Ole Putt" oldvolkshome@earthlink.net jim@karmannghia.com http://www.oldvolkshome.com *********************** ----- Original Message ----- From: "jimt" <wetwesty@TACTICAL-BUS.INFO> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, October 28, 2004 1:56 PM Subject: Re: vanagon Digest - Please trim replies - cofap pistons reply

I know of several rebuilds using them. I have had no problems with them myself for air cooled rebuilds. They are cheaper yes. Will they make it as long as factory orig, maybe not. Will they make it long enough. Most likely .. as some probably arent going to be around in 100k miles on the vehicle anyway. jimt

........................................ jimt Planned insanity is best. Remember that sanity is optional. http://www.tactical-bus.info (tech info) http://www.westydriver.com