Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 28 Oct 2004 20:36:12 -0700
From:         Robert Fisher <refisher@MCHSI.COM>
Subject:      Re: What parts could I use?

Thanks for the info. I'm sticking with the auto because a) my wife is five-foot-nothing on a low gravity day, b) she doesn't drive a stick, c) I have bad knees, d) I intend to teach my wife how to drive a stick for emergencies but if I have to live with her driving it I'll have bad heart to go with the knees. No, that isn't a chauvinistic statement, it's just a statement of fact; she'd be the first to agree with me. : )

I've read that there is a Jetta auto tranny that can be mated to the Vgon final drive; I'll be looking into that as well to see if it gets me anything, but I believe I can live with the stock tranny without much pain (famous last words?).

I had a diesel Rabbit, don't think I'll be going that route with the van; the TDI sounds interesting for various reasons, but I live in Cali so it's probably a moot point for the moment.

The subie folks can howl all they want, I kinda enjoy listening to the coyotes when I'm out working in the middle of the night. : ) Actually, I'm largely indifferent to that whole debate with the exception that I'd prefer to keep my VW all VW. This same yard, btw, had plenty of VWs and Suburus to pick thru... I live out in the middle of nowhere.

Also, I saw a VW auto tranny with the string 003.321.105 E across the top; it was too gunked up elsewhere for me get the codes off of it readily. I'll check it out when I go back, but in the meantime do those numbers mean anything in particular?

Thanks, Robert

----- Original Message ----- From: "Hahn Rossman" <hahn@alkifoundry.com> To: "Robert Fisher" <refisher@MCHSI.COM>; <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, October 28, 2004 8:02 PM Subject: RE: What parts could I use?