Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 22 Oct 2004 10:10:13 -0500
From:         Jim Felder <felder@KNOLOGY.NET>
Subject:      Re: last nights fun.

I've done this twice in the last year, (two different cars, not two failed cylinders) so while no expert my memory is fresh.

The hard part is getting the cylinder in an out, particularly accessing the bolts under the bracket. You'll see what I mean. Heh heh heh. Here are some ways you can do it almost all from the top.

Two tricks: you may find that you can't get a wrench on the older (early 80s) rear bolt, but maybe that's just a diesel thing. Here's what I did if it happens to you: the problem is that a normal wrench is too long and the engine is in the way. Go get a cheap wrench 13mm and cut it in half, slip in on from the bottom, jam it in place with newspaper, and have at it from the top while you enjoy your favorite beverage.

If the bolts fight you all the way out, go get new ones.

Best way to cut in half = dremel cutoff wheels (wear glasses, they break)

Second best way = hacksaw or grinding wheel. The cheaper the wrench the easier the modification.

Secondly, applies to all, and involves newspaper again: keep the bolts from falling out while you get a nut on them with some newspaper. When both nuts have the purchase of a thread or two, remove the paper, apply the wrench and tighten.

You'll need something like a dowel sharpened in a pencil sharpener to keep the fluid from dripping all over the place before you hook the clutch fluid line back up. Don't make it too long or you can break it off moving things around.

Other than that, there's no drama, no adjustment. Just make sure that the pushrod is seated down in the socket on the clutch lever properly and that you've cleaned and greased that part before reassembly.

Jim