Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 29 Oct 2004 06:59:37 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: 88vanagon-missing
Comments: To: Rajesh Injety <wolfvanagon@yahoo.com>

I would definitely go with George on this one. Ignition wires are immediately suspect. I had this problem on my 63 Beetle, my 69 Beetle, my '68 Bus, my '85 V-gon, and on my current '88 V-gon GL. I had to replace wires on every one of them.

The ignition wires undergo a tremendous electrical pressure - 25,000 volts every time the sparkplug fires - and eventually the insulation breaks down allowing the electicity to take an alternate route. When the pressure builds to jump the gap on the spark plug, if there is a weak spot any where in the insulation or elsewhere, the electricity will always seek the easiest route to discharge. The result is a "miss". At first it begins as an intermittant missfire, but as the alternate route becomes more used, the more degraded does the firing of the plug become, until eventually you have a dead shorting out of the wire with not electricity to the plug.

Good luck on your search for this "miss"!

Regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver