Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 29 Oct 2004 09:52:13 -0500
From:         Jamie Foust <foust@CECLAC.COM>
Subject:      '80 aircooled power loss follow-up - long
Comments: To: type2-digest-help@type2.com

Okay, here's the follow-up

If you don't remember, I have a '80 ac federal f.i. non-calif. model Vanagon. I had good idle, good power at higher rpms, but no power and bucking/stalling at the low rpm range. Checked ignition system, replaced all vacuum and breather lines/hoses, repaired fuel lines, replaced oil cooler seals (due to leak), replaced small & large fuel injector seals, replaced manifold boots, replaced afm intake boot (old one was for water cooled vanagon - poor fit & cracked).

I finally finished the oil cooler seal replacement about 10:00 p.m. last night. Next time I'll just drop the engine - what a pain! Got everything back together. I cleaned the afm circuit board w/ a pencil eraser and removed the sweeper arm. I re-bent the sweeper arm contacts to maintain the same contact angle but change the position on the circuit board so that the sweep area was moved from the wear pattern.

After getting the timing straighten out (the dist. jumped out of the gear), I got it timed and idling. Checked for oil leaks - and decided to take a quick spin around the block - now 10:45 p.m. No stalling, hesitation, or bucking. Hmmm.....seems good. Back to the garage, close garage door, check for oil leaks, fuel leaks, weird smells...all looks good. Decide to try a little further - now 11:00 p.m. Take it around a much bigger block. Good power, smooth and steady. No problems. 11:30 p.m. shower and bed.

I drove it to work today!! Not everything is finished, but is it ever? But I'm very happy so far. My conclusion is that the afm was the biggest fix. All ohm tests checked out except when I would slowly open the gate. I would get erratic jumps and numbers out of range, not the slow increase I should have seen. I'm also sure the small but multiple vacuum cracks played a part, as well as the timing issue. Hopefully this weekend I can replace the torn cv boot and change the tranny lube. Get a new windshield and get the wiper pump working, I should be ready for winter.

Thanks to everyone who replied with trouble shooting advice and the folks at Bus Depot for fast order turn-around and list member discount. Now maybe I should try to put the '82 diesel vanagon back together. I'll keep you posted.

jamie foust '80 air cooled vanagon "Air Hog" (recent $500 acquisition) '82 diesel vanagon "Diesel Pig" Des Moines, Iowa