Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 31 Oct 2004 10:28:21 -0700
From:         jimt <wetwesty@TACTICAL-BUS.INFO>
Subject:      Re: What is that strip?
Comments: To: RAlanen@AOL.COM

On 10/31/04 3:57 AM, "Frank Condelli" <RAlanen@AOL.COM> wrote:

> Sorry to say but this is total BS. I have along with countless others > removed the so called locking strip and no windows to my knowledge have ever > fallen out. You should remove and install some of those windows and you'll > see > what the real story is ! Yes, you have to remove the strip to remove the > window but it does not need to be there. My personal '87 > Westy has had those strips removed for over 10 years. My windows are still > in the van ! > > Cheers, > > Frank Condelli > Almonte, Ontario, Canada

Just went out to my spare vanagon this morning to check to see what should be holding that rubber with the trim. I have removed dozens of these windows over the years with the trim in place and never had a problem removing them. Did a hatch window a while back with absolutely no problem. Put into another van door with no problem as well with the chrome strip in place. This time I did a side window with the trim in place on just one side of the window and checked the flex on both sides. No difference. Pulled the trim out of the rubber and checked how it inserts. It is not a lock of any kind. It is out in the outer section. Put the window back in and tried to push it out or in. could not tell any difference between the one I had pulled and put back or the one I had not touched. I have heard both sides of the pulled chrome on various vehicles for several years. Still the only chrome pieces I have ever seen that possibly had anything to do with integrity are on some windshields from the 70s.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••• jimt Planned insanity is best. Remember that sanity is optional. http://www.tactical-bus.info (tech info) http://www.westydriver.com