Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 31 Oct 2004 16:35:26 -0600
From:         Warren Lail <wlail@OU.EDU>
Subject:      short fuel injector hose
Comments: To: Benny boy <huotb@VIDEOTRON.CA>

Hi Ben,

Here's how I changed those little hoses. I first removed the steel retainer ring. In order to do this I gently clamped the injector in a vice, and then used an Exacto knife to cut the old hose lengthwise, beginning at the end and working toward the injector. This requires several passes with the Exacto knife, and when you finally get down near the injector and the steel retainer ring, use the point of the Exacto to sort of cut behind the ring. Then just peel the old hose off and the ring will simply fall off. Throw the ring away.

Next, using proper high pressure fuel injection hose, I cut the small replacement pieces and slid them onto the injector. I clamped them in place using those nice fuel hose clamps from Volkscafe, the ones with blue on them. They do not cut the hose (the knurls are exterior only and the edges are slightly flared). Make sure the clamp fits really close to the injector because there is a small taper on the injector (but still enough room to get a good grip). Reinstall the injector and use those same high quality clamps for the end that fits the fuel injector rail as well (in fact, I used these clamps throughout my fuel system - they simply don't cut into the fuel line).

The proper fuel clamps are available at Volkscafe for .70 cents each, and they call them FUELCLAMP2. Other list vendors may have them as well. I have no interest in Volkscafe, monetary or otherwise.

If I can find an old injector with the hose and steel retainer ring in place, I will photo-document the procedure and post it someplace.

Warren Lail 88 Westy "Billy Bones"