Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 29 Oct 2004 09:18:28 -0700
From:         Jim Thompson <jim@KARMANNGHIA.COM>
Subject:      Re: Spark Plug Options for 2.1 WBX - SUMMARY
Comments: To: tabe johnson <xtabe@YAHOO.COM>

The biggest difference between the W7CC and W7CC0 (that's right - itsa zero) is the design and characteristics of the insulator shell portion near the electrode tip. The "0" plug is usually specifically designed for the vehicle it is intended for, ie: Vanagon Wasserboxer engine (and reaching back a few years in a slightly different electrode design, the 75-79 Fuel Injected Beetle under W8A0 or W8AC0). The W7CC is an acceptable replacement (even as shown in VW's Microfiche & ETKA, along with Bosch references) for the Wasserboxer. However, because of the "universal" design of the W7CC being used in a variety of vehicles (Nissan, Toyota, etc.), it may or may not last as long as the "0" plug. In my case, W7CC0 spark plugs usually last as long (if not longer,) as the factory specs call for. The W7CC plug (in my experience, others may differ,) seems to have most times been pretty wasted by the time the mileage specs call for a spark plug change. It's purely up to the vehicle operator.

BTW, for proper NGK interchange info:

W7CC = NGK B6ES W7CC0 = NGK B6EY

The W7DTC Tri-Electrode Spark Plug is used extensively by Audi-VW in their inline 4 series in the late 80s/early 90s and for strangely just one year on the Wasserboxer (1985). I have used this plug in the past and my seat-of-the-pants impression is that the engine runs a bit smoother with little or no change in mileage. Some owners using this plug have commented that passing the local emissions test is more difficult, the readings being abit higher or exceeding the minimums on some cases. I have not had this happen as I continue to use the W7CC0 in most driving conditions with my rig. The proper NGK plug interchange for the W7DTC is BP6ET (Resistor version is BPR6ET).

The Bosch 7598 is W7CC, not W7CC0. No "0" spark plugs have a 4 digit product code according to Bosch. These plugs continue to be sold under their designator W7CC0 (formerly W175M2), because they are not pre-packaged in hanging boxed or blister pack sets of 4. W7CC0 standard packaging is 10 plugs per box.

The difference between the "W" numbers and the 4 digit number is purely for marketing purposes. "W" number spark plugs come 10 to a box, the 4 digit "market" number designators are pre-packed in quantities normally used for what vehicles they are (or were) generally intended for (4, 6 or 8) .

The term "Super" Plug is generally what Bosch calls all of their Copper-Core spark plugs. When Bosch went head-to-head with NGK (who had copper core before Bosch) in the early 80s, they touted their Super Plug as being copper core. Champion, Autolight, AC-Delco soon followed suit. Designations of the Bosch spark plug changed as follows:

Original Bosch Long Number: W175T1 First New Bosch Number: W7C Copper Core "Super" Number: W7CC 4 Pak Marketing Number: 7598

(Info Sources: Bosch Spark Plug Catalog #221101, dates 1975 thru 2003)

I do not have an opinion on Platinum series plugs, single or 4 electrode. If they work for you, continue to do so. If not, continue to use what the factory called for in the first place.

Jim Thompson 84 Westfalia 2.1 "Ole Putt" oldvolkshome@earthlink.net jim@karmannghia.com http://www.oldvolkshome.com *********************** ----- Original Message ----- From: "tabe johnson" <xtabe@YAHOO.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, October 28, 2004 9:01 PM Subject: Spark Plug Options for 2.1 WBX - SUMMARY