Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 29 Oct 2004 17:51:39 -0700
From:         Jim Thompson <jim@KARMANNGHIA.COM>
Subject:      Re: CB / was Re: Vanagon Hams

I usually run a Cobra 146GTL or Uniden Jackson sideband radios on a "hump mount" originally designed to be used in an American sedan on the floor just to the left and behind the shifter housing (Auto Trans) and it rests against the front corner of the left seat pedestal. The mount's base is fairly wide enough to offer stability in most driving situations. Originally made by a now defunct compay (Kriket), it has the added benefit of an external speaker. If I ever get off my duff and pass the Tech Class exam (failed twice so far and don't get me started on code), I'll mount a 2 meter or 440MHz rig in the same spot.

Antenna - I run a "No Ground Plane" 4 foot whip attached to an "L" bracket attached to the left hold-down screw of the luggage carrier with the coax coming through the door seal (no leaks). No problems talking or listening - 5 to 7 miles on AM and up to 15 miles on Sideband, sometimes even farther at night. Can't remember the brand of antenna (I think it's Diesel Products), but I picked it up at a Flying J in my travels purposely because of the Poptop/Carrier of the Westy.

I've been running this set up for the past 8 or 9 years now.

YMMV

Jim Thompson 84 Westfalia 2.1 "Ole Putt" oldvolkshome@earthlink.net jim@karmannghia.com http://www.oldvolkshome.com *********************** ----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Zeno" <vw4x4@FYI.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, October 29, 2004 10:04 AM Subject: CB / was Re: Vanagon Hams