Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Nov 2004 22:51:41 +1300
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Re: Largest diameter... tire failures

I have run car tires exclusively on my Type 2s (84 Caravelle included) since 1976 and never had a structural failure... even after demolishing a concrete traffic island with my 57 and clipping a curb with my 75 hard enough to bend a tierod. Most of these were run-of-the-mill radials of the older style ie 80% profile, with the standard sidewall-flex. My "new" XLWB Hiace is my first van with LT tires... and then only because they were already on it. 65PSI? Ridiculous when a car tire of same load rating goes to a mere 40PSI, and gives far superior handling.

On the other hand I HAVE had a HD 4WD tire fail catastrophically on an 82 LandCruiser wagon... tread and belts all left the tire entirely, and all that was still on the wheel was the two sidewalls. There was no warning... it suddenly went flat (felt the LR corner of the car drop) and we stopped immediately (duh). We had just left town and were accelerating from 70 to 110kph at the time.

I have also had a recently-retreaded radial fail, again without warning, but that's par for the course for those horrors (which should be banned). I didn't choose the tire... it was on the Fiat 128 (yeah, a horror all in itself) when I bought that.

Put it this way... the lower the profile/larger the wheel diameter you can afford, the better the handling will be... and as I keep saying, the difference could well save your life in an emergency avoidance situation. The only problems are expense and possibly risk of tire-sidewall damage in large-sharpassed-rock offroad situations. According to enthusiast (nonVW) magazines, the better of such tires won't cause a degradation of ride comfort (I'll be able to report on this from personal experience once my van's back on the road). -- Andrew Grebneff Dunedin New Zealand Fossil preparator <andrew.grebneff@stonebow.otago.ac.nz> Seashell, Macintosh, VW/Toyota van nut