Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Nov 2004 14:52:06 -0700
From:         jimt <wetwesty@TACTICAL-BUS.INFO>
Subject:      Re: leaking brake reservoir?
Comments: To: Jeff Hosea <hosea_jeff@HOTMAIL.COM>

On 11/2/04 2:07 PM, "Jeff Hosea" <hosea_jeff@HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:

> I just got a call from my wife that she thinks the brake fluid reservoir on > our 84.5 Vanagon has a leak in it. Apparently there is a good size puddle > on the driveway in front of the driver's side front tire and more on the > floor mat. She thinks it's brake fluid but not sure. > > My question for you guys, does this sound right or make sense to you? It's > been fine and never dripped before and now just empties basically? Also, > how do I get behind the dash to see what the issue might be? > > Thanks for any help so I can at least think about it before I get home > tonight. > Jeff

The master cylinder is under the gauge pod cover. There are two indents on the lower rear part. Grip firmly and pull towards you and up. However I would check the fluid in the washer bottle first

If you are in an area that just got the hard freeze like we did last night, I would check the washer fluid reservoir first and make sure it isnt washer fluid. A quick feel and sniff should tell you. If washer fluid isnt kept fresh it freezes very quickly. The frozen fluid will exit from the top of the jug onto the floor on the drivers side and out on the bumper area in front of the drivers front door. Brake fluid normally doesnΉt dump in both locations

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••• jimt Planned insanity is best. Remember that sanity is optional. http://www.tactical-bus.info (tech info) http://www.westydriver.com