Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 3 Nov 2004 01:17:46 -0600
From:         Chris <chris@MCCLURKEN.COM>
Subject:      Urgent request: broken shifter, stuck in 4th 85 GL

I'm going to start going through the archives but this is kind of an urgent nature so I'm going to ask in advance so I hope you all don't mind too much. Quick run down: Took another trip from Nashville to Atlanta without incident. On my last day there I drove to the gas station and filled up ( did not top off ), then my passenger remembered something she forgot and we drove a couple of miles back to the house and I parked but stayed at idle. I had a very very strong odor of gasoline. I got out of the van and started sniffing, it was definately coming from the front of the van near the gas tank and was stronger on the drivers side. I couldn't find a leak and decided to head on out anyway.

Then going up to a stoplight I trying to downshift into 3rd as normal and the shifter stuck. Once I stopped I let go of the clutch and killed the engine ( to keep this story as short as possible I won't say why but I have reason based on another vehicle I drive ). The van would not start. All electrical was fine and it turned over but wouldn't fire.

I pushed the van off to the side and checked things out for a few minutes and then it started right up again. I again went on my way and had a mechanic check it out, he found nothing. I came back to Nashville that night without a problem.

Final part of the story.... as I've been driving around town I continued to have trouble with downshifting from 4th to 3rd but found that if I lifted up as I shifted it would go into gear. I was figuring a faulty lockout mechanism.

Well tonight in the rainy dark at an intersection it finally bit the dust. Luckily I figured out its stuck in 4th and was able to coax it across the intersection with high rpms and clutch feathering. I unbolted the plate to try to get another look at it and can't get the plate past the ball on the shifter but it does not feel like the stick is catching anything at all now... just loose.

I need help. I don't know a mechanic around here that really knows Vanagons and I have no Bentley. I have limited access to tools and could not drop the gas tank if I needed to. I'm also dead broke and have a very good interview next week for a job in which I need my van to be working or I won't get it.

I hate to sound desperate but I am and ANY advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Chris 85 GL Hendersonville, TN USA