Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 5 Nov 2004 11:52:56 -0600
From:         Jim Felder <felder@KNOLOGY.NET>
Subject:      Re: Catalytic Heaters

I recommend the Olympian Wave 3. I have camped with it around 40F, and we had to turn it on the low setting. It uses a lot less fuel than the cheap heaters, so you don't have to worry about that. You're going to pay at LEAST $215 for it new, so it's a good bit more expensive. It doesn't get bright orange like the cheap heaters, so you won't get burned by touching it. It doesn't use much oxygen either. I open the window a bit, do it all the time and I'm still here to write these posts.

One more thing: it installs permanently and mounts to the wall somewhere (I used the vertical surface behind the passenger seat pedestal), which is both good and bad. The bad is that you have to run tubing and make your own connections or pay to have someone else do it. The good: convenient and safer, not limited to 6 hours on a small bottle. It uses 1/8 lb per hour, I seem to remember, and since it's not on one of those little cylinders (which should never be brought into a van or building by law, and by common sense) the installation to the outside tank is a necessity. You won't miss the gas, you'll love the heat.

It has two heat settings, one about 1000 btu and one about 3000.

Jim