Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 5 Nov 2004 12:27:49 -0700
From:         Bob Stevens <mtbiker62@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: vanagon Digest - 4 Nov 2004 to 5 Nov 2004 - Special issue
              (#2004-1073)
Comments: To: gary hradek <hradek@YAHOO.COM>

A little different way of looking at this thread; with campers, with the top up, the canvas is not an insulator at all, if anything a very temperature permeable layer. I replicated Richard Jones's blanket insulating barrier and found it maintained a 20+ degree difference, on 35 degree nights. Easy to make and apply in a couple minutes but eliminates the accommodation of the upper bunk except for luggage storage. 4 snaps along the front of the blanket and van top, 4-5 back on each side on the tops of the air ducting leading back toward the rear and tuck that end of the blanket between the top bunk mattress. Very easy to install and take down for access to that area. I was surprised by the difference in temperature to the touch when I took it down next morning. I used a fairly heavy polypro blanket. The blanket itself was noticeably colder on the upper side than bottom. I use the Olympic Cat also and pop the side sliding windows open an inch and I wake up every morning. Left the heater on 2 of the 4 nights and the other 2 I just put the blanket in place and found the temp. difference next morning 15 degrees. An opinion re cat heaters: the sleeping area is 18-20" or so, above the floor where the C0 is going to collect as it is heavier than atmospheric air. That is a significant factor related to the safety vs hazard of these heaters. The heated air rises to the blanket in this application and gats pretty effectively trapped by the blanket.