Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 5 Nov 2004 14:34:42 -0500
From:         Kim Brennan <kimbrennan@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Re: CD/Speaker recommendations - 89 Westy
Comments: To: Chuck Reisinger <chuckphoto@EARTHLINK.NET>

I won't talk about recievers/cd players, as there is a lot to choose from. However, on the subject of speakers...

MBQuart makes a couple of speakers that will flush mount in the stock location of the Vanagon speakers. If you want to use the tweeters you'll need to add an additional hole. in the front doors.

I just finished adding a couple of MBQuarts to my front door. It was necessary to enlargen the hole slightly to accomodate the flush fit. I have pictures of my install, but haven't posted them online yet (lazy and dealing with odd spinning head feelings this autumn.)

In my Westy, the stock speakers are Blaupunkts. The MBQuarts are deeper and have a larger magnet, but fit into the existing recess without trouble. Although I spent the effort to better relocate the cables for the power mirrors/windows as to get them out of the speaker recess.

Other than the MBQuart logo on them, you'd be hard pressed to tell they aren't the stock speakers.

I haven't gotten around to the rear speakers yet.

FWIW, the MBQuart speakers come with a separate tweeter and include a cross over unit. I'm currently not using that set up in the front, though I will in the back. The cross over unit should fit within the door cavity, but will need to be carefully mounted. I'm still using stock speaker cables (which are actually a heavier gauge wire than I was expecting.)