Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 5 Nov 2004 18:25:35 -0600
From:         Jim Felder <felder@KNOLOGY.NET>
Subject:      Re: Replacing rear brake cylinder, info and / or help needed
Comments: To: Sam Walters <sam.cooks@VERIZON.NET>

The drum will come off if you hit it with a sledge hammer. Be sure to take out the retaining screws before you do that, though.

The cylinder swap is the easiest part. I think a 10mm nut through the plate is all that holds them in.

The cylinders are so cheap that you probably shouldn't risk a rebuild for the difference in price.

Getting the new shoes and springs in is the hard part. Spring pliers would be nice, I don't have any but renting them from your FLAPS might be worth looking into. And getting those #$%#@$^#% little retainer spring discs and their pins aligned and back in IS the most difficult part. There is a tool for that, too, though a couple pair of longnose will work.

Make sure you get apart the adjusting screw and make sure it works easily, also note which way it turns to expand because you have to lever a toothed wheel with a screwdriver through a hole behind the plate to adjustment. Not too bad, but just make sure you've done the mental monitoring to save yourself some trouble.

Replace all the fluid you can till it runs clear, so buy a big bottle of brake fluid.

Make sure you place the removed shoes on the driveway as a clue as to how the new ones go in if you're replacing them. No bit deal, will save you a few minutes of trial and error.

I never saw a VW bus or vanagon that if the shoes were gone the drums were'nt worn out as well. this may not be your problem at all, but you'll save yourself a lot of trouble doing all this just once.

The bentley has the whole story.

Jim