Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 5 Nov 2004 22:54:25 -0800
From:         alan sinclair <anadem@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: California Dreamin - Trip up/down coast, need advice
Comments: To: phil.walker@BROOKS.COM

Hi Phil, Suzanne, Sage & Star

The part of the coast I know is round Santa Cruz where we live. It's a fairly small town (~50,000) with a Univ of Calif site, which gives it extra life. Lots of Vanagons & Westys too.

There are many nice small beaches with rock pools (though maybe 1 1/4 is a bit too small to enjoy starfish and anemones). If those appeal to you I can tell as much detail as you like -- or you can find many north from here towards SF. Beaches south of Santa Cruz are generally more open sand, north of SC are prettier and enclosed by cliffs.

Monterey Bay Aquarium is very amazing if you can take half a day. Watching the giant tanks with the kelp swaying in the current is mesmerizing. And the jellyfish exhibits ... no, all the exhibits are cool! I'd suggest you plan on not eating in that area as it's become very high-price-ticky-tacky all round it -- eat elsewhere in Monterey than Fisherman's Wharf. But food at the Aquarium iself is ok, though.

Santa Cruz has the Boardwalk, but unless you're really into roller coasters it's probably not worth a visit. There's a wharf nearby with some restaurants, from moderate prices up. You should probably drive along the wharf to give your westy a taste of sea air -- it's free if you're there under 30 minutes.

In Santa Cruz town center there are many good eateries: A low-cost eating place we go to quite often has Ceylon-style vegetarian food -- the Asian Rose. Jack's has the best hamburger and fries ever. Palomar is less cheap (but not expensive) Mexican food. Many varieties of Great hot chocolate at Chocolat, also wine, soup and sandwiches there. Zoccoli's is a good deli for sandwiches. Proper bagels from The Bagelry -- we go there often for an onion bagel with egg-salad and 'pink flamingo' which is a lox/cream-cheese mix (these are real bagels, not like Noah's) There are some very fine expensive places too -- Cafe Bella Napoli makes my mouth water to think of it, if you have a birthday to celebrate or some other excuse! Also a number of very good organic / healthy-food stores -- New Leaf (several branches but a little pricy), Staff of Life, Shoppers Corner, The Food Bin. The downtown farmer's market is on Wednesday, or ther are others on Friday and Saturday different places.

You should stop by the Santa Cruz Lighthouse and watch the surfing on Steamer Lane. Monarch butterflies roost in the Eucalyptus trees at Lighthouse Field for the winter - twenty thousand or more. They migrate here from as far north as Canada, and also roost at Natural Bridges State Park on the western edge of Santa Cruz (which has a nice beach too, though the natural bridge fell down years ago)

There's a lovely drive through redwoods up highway 9 from Santa Cruz to Felton (about 7 miles) -- Henry Cowell Redwoods SP in Felton has some of the biggest trees, including one with a small room inside where Captain (oops, forgotten his name -- one of the first exploreres here) stayed over a winter, according to legend -- take a flashlight to go inside the tree (there's a little shelf cut into the tree inside). There's camping at Henry Cowell, but I haven't used it. <http://www.pelicannetwork.net/santacruzredwoods.html>

I have stayed in the Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park in Big Sur -- nice. Not much else in Big Sur though except hiking. (There's a great hike to a natural hot spring -- Sykes -- where the hot water bubbles out from rocks under a redwood tree, but it's about twelve miles of extreme up-and-down) <http://www.pelicannetwork.net/bigsur.campgrounds.htm#Pfeiffer%20Big%20Sur%20State%20Park>

When you're along the coast keep an eye open for migrating grey whales -- you can take a boat trip, if you have a strong stomach, from many places. They go down to Baja to calve, and you see their spouts when they come up to breathe.

Also, there will be a few elephant seals at Ano Nuevo, about 25 miles north of Santa Cruz on Hwy 1, though their peak seaon isn't really till February/March.

So, sounds like you'll need at least half your time round here :-) More details as you wish...

Alan