Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 6 Nov 2004 11:41:56 -0600
From:         Al and Sue Brase <albeeee@MCHSI.COM>
Subject:      Re: Torque wrench use
Comments: To: Tim Demarest <tim.demarest@POBOX.COM>

Well, If that is happening, I'd say there is some operator error. I was very skeptical when I first saw the modern click type wrenches, even more so of the ones from the Pacific rim. Let me back up here. In 1965, when I was 16, and got my first real job, working as a stock boy at a store downtown, I took my VERY first check and walked across the street to Sears and picked up a shiny new Craftsman bending beam torque wrench. (This shows you where MY values were.) I still have it. These bending beam torque wrenches were made by a company called Sturtevant. together with the wrench came a nice handbook giving general torque specs and some propaganda about their product. Basically they said that if the beam had no damage and the pointer was centered, the wrench would ALWAYS stay in spec. I have no reason to disagree. I've taken care of it and its big and little brothers and they all work just great. EXCEPT, they are slow. And You have to be able to see the scale from a perpendicular viewing point. Not always easy, especially when RE-TORQUING water boxer heads. I finally took the plunge about 5 years ago and bought a Husky from Home Depot. Figured I'd give it a try and take it back if I didn't like it. I like it. furthermore I compared it against my 3/8 drive Craftsman and the torque is dead on. I've built lots and lots of engines. Probably a few more American cast iron anchors (a few very powerful anchors) than air cooled . But air- cooled of all sorts, including lots of type 4's and type 1's, a few Porsche 356 and 911 and even a couple of CORVAIRS! I used to do the high performance small block chevys in 2 lb. steps as I approached the spec. I sure wish I'd had one of these click type wrenches back then when there were 34 bolts and 10 passes thru the pattern! In using any torque wrench there are a few things to keep in mind: 1. You need to go slow enough to let the assembly move to its new position. I read somewhere that over 50% of the torque applied goes to friction at the interface of the bolt and the head. It is VERY important that lube (or yellow sealer in the waterboxer) be applied to the threads and nut face equally or some stud will not have equal tension. Even after my wrench clicks there is some further movement in the assembly. I just hold it there while the nut catches up. Not a long time, maybe 1/2 to 2/3 of a second before releasing the handle. (They don't BREAK, I do. They only move a vey small amount, maybe a degree or two. 2. I use a few more steps than Bentley calls for. I can't remember numbers right now, but maybe breaking down the last step into 3 steps, more like about 2 ft lb. increments. You'd be surprised if you even went through the pattern with the exact same setting. Usually the first bolts in the pattern will pull down a little. Certainly no problem going thru the last step twice. 3. I ALWAYS use the exact torque specs in the book. Unless on advice from someone who knows more than the engineers at the factory. (In the case of racers & high performance engines.) People who have taken a lot of engines apart. especially engines that have failed! I've met a few shade tree guys that thought the numbers in the book were just some place to start from, maybe add 20 ft lb. to everything. DUH? I am not an engineer, but I do have a bit of experience FEELING head bolts move and indirectly from that feel, feeling head gaskets tighten/ crush. 4. This should have been #1, but it's important that any turning force you make with the wrench be measured and only those forces. To do this means you must put a very clean pull on the wrench and hold on to the socket end with your other hand to keep it from being a bending force. I nearly always use an extension. An never let any part of the beam hit anything which would keep any of the measured force from being applied to the fastener. Al Brase